BIBLE READING: MATTHEW 18:21-35; LEVITICUS 19:16-18
“And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him and let it drop (leave it, let it go), in order that your Father Who is in Heaven may also forgive you your [own] failings and shortcomings and let them drop.” Mark 11: 25 (AMP).
Forgiveness is the act of excusing a mistake or an offence. It also means to let go of feelings of anger or ill feeling towards someone that has hurt you.
The Bible states in Luke 17:1(NKJV); ” Then He said to the disciples, “It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!
Offences must surely come. The issue is not with the offence but with one’s attitude or how one responds when offended. Some offences are easier to forgive than others, but irrespective of the level of provocation, we are obligated to forgive because God commands us to forgive.
Ephesians 4:32 (MSG) says; “Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.” Colossians 3:13 (NLT) instructs us to; “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”
The reason we should forgive is because God commands us to forgive since He forgave us first for His Own Sake (see Isa.43:25).
There are certain benefits of forgiveness:
- Making Heaven: In other words, forgiveness guarantees your Eternal Security (see Heb. 12:14).
- Longevity: There is a relationship between living long and the state of your heart (see 1 Pet. 3:9-10).
- It guarantees our receiving forgiveness from God (see Matt. 6:12,14,15).
- It guarantees answered prayers (see Mk.11:24-25).
- It guarantees Divine Health: When you start having health challenges, check your love thermometer. Most chronic diseases breed on toxic emotions (see Prov.14:30).
We forgive others not because they deserve it but because we have been forgiven (see Matt. 6:12). The simple truth is that anytime you forgive someone, you just released a prisoner only to discover that the prisoner in question was you.
Lord, help me to know the Love of Christ which exceeds knowledge, that I might be filled with all the Fullness of God in Jesus’ Name. Amen.