BIBLE READING: PSALM 133:1-3; EPHESIANS 3:17-20; ACTS 2:42-47
“They committed themselves to the teachings of the Apostles, the life together, the common meal, the prayers” Acts 2:42(MSG).
Praying is a very powerful tool for uniting people together in love. It is commonly said that a family that prays together stays together. Prayer has an uncanny way of generating intimacy between us and three categories of people:
- The Person to Whom we pray: When we spend quality time praying to God in fellowship, we get deeper and more intimate with Him and our spirit becomes more united with the Spirit of God. (see Ps.18:1-2(MSG) We become one literally with Him, His Purpose, Will and Mind.
- The person(s) with whom we pray: When we spend time with one another in a co-operate setting as couples, as a family, with a prayer partner, with the assembly of believers in Church, etc., it enables us to maintain the unity of the spirit and abound in love (see Eph. 4:3).
- The person(s) for whom we pray: The Scripture admonishes us to pray for certain people:
•Pray for those in authority (see 1 Tim. 2:1-2)
• Pray for one another (see Jam. 5:16)
• Pray for your enemies (see Matt. 5:44)
Praying together was one of the secrets of unity and strength of the early church (see Acts 2:42-47). Love is what unites people. We love other brethren more when we fellowship with them and the same applies to our family and members of our household. The number one quality of the Godhead that is a threat to satan is not their Omnipotence, Omniscience or Omnipresence: It is Their Unity. (see Gen.1:26) In the same vein, a corporate family prayer has the potential to foster unity in the family which undermines the devil’s agenda. Let us rise up to the challenge for indeed, the family that prays together stays together.
Ask God for grace to always discipline yourself to fellowship constantly with your spouse in the place of prayer.