BIBLE READING: HEBREWS 13:5-6; DEUTERONOMY 8:18; JOB 36:11
“The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.” Proverbs 21:5 (NKJV).
The enormous possibilities of finances have earned it a meritorious position in Ecclesiastes 10:19 (AMP) – “Money is the answer to everything.” Finance is defined as the management of money and includes activities such as investing, borrowing, lending, budgeting, saving and forecasting.
Finance plays a vital role in marriage and is regarded as a major stress factor which triggers several negative actions and reactions among couples. Financial stress is one of the top reasons for marital conflict and divorce. This is never God’s Will because His Will concerning money is that it should be a source of blessing and a door for His Overflowing Grace in life and much more in marriage (see 1Cor. 9:6-11). There are several worldly theories on building and managing finances in marriage but we must understand and follow God’s Plan (see Prov.19:21).
It is important to understand God’s Vision for couples in Genesis 2:24 – “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. God expects couples to plan, build and manage their finances together as a team to meet their needs and bring Glory to Him. It is important to state that there is no generally acceptable formula cast in stone or a “one size fits all” magic wand that can be used to achieve this Vision. However, knowledge and wisdom are important components that must guide couples while building finances together. Knowledge increases strength (see Prov. 24:5) and Wisdom is profitable to direct (see Ecc.10:10b). Couples have a collective responsibility of managing finances in a manner that honours God.
Since there is no general formula that fits every family in building and managing finances together, here are some guidelines for couples:
- Aim at transparency/openness in everything especially in money matters.
- Note that you are stewards of God’s money therefore spend it according to His Word because you are accountable to Him.
- Manage your finances properly by budgeting: These areas can guide you:
i. God First i.e., First and best fruits (Tithes, offerings, etc).
ii. Savings and some investments.
iii. Address your needs, not your wants.
iv. Liabilities/obligations (debts, bills, remittances, blessing others etc).
v. Keep money aside for miscellaneous expenditure.
vi. Buy food in bulk to save money and reduce financial burdens.
- Headship of the home extends to finances as well: Therefore, no matter who earns more, the man must rule the finances of the home with Wisdom and Fairness. He must have foresight for the home to better the lot of the family e.g., plans to own a house someday.
- Lack of money must not be a permanent situation in the home: It is important to be mindful of the potential problems associated with lack of money such as tension, quarrels, misunderstanding, mistrust, suspicion, etc.
- Don’t compare yourself with any other family and accept realities.
Father, I thank You for Your blessings because You have given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. As a steward of Your Treasures and Resources, I receive wisdom to build and manage all You have committed into our home in Jesus’ Name. Amen.